Click here to visit the High Performance Workshop website



16 October 2017


Bathurst Race Report

The big one always promised to be a tough event and with 38 competitors and the opportunity to bag a trophy from the mountain being a great motivator to push forward.  Coming into the round placed fourth in the championship, I was focused on bagging some points to move up the ladder and cement a championship placing.
Practice 1 was held on Thursday morning and with the overhang of my incident in the Dunlop Series 2 car in the Dipper last year, I was determined to work my way up to pace and focus on accumulating points.  The car was fast and competitive and we showed that in Sector 1 and 3 with work to be done in Sector 2 over the top of the mountain. Practice 2 saw me move up to 7th and build some more confidence over the top. Qualifying was held on Friday morning and with a 10th place locked in and getting the fastest sector 1 in the field we knew we had a competitive set up for racing on Saturday and Sunday.
Race 1 was a solid result and we maintained 10th without incident. Race 2 was a different matter and the carnage in the field was significant starting with a lap 1, turn 1 incident when Aaron Seton pushed Aaron Cameron into the wall destroying his car and we were caught up in the mesh but only suffered minor panel damage. Just as we recovered from that incident another significant incident occurred on mountain straight and four cars were taken out in an event involving the same driver!!!. Head down through the dust and we drove hard to secure a 6th place and grab some valuable points.  That now put us in second place in the championship at the end of the Saturday events.
Sunday morning we were first up and as the track sweepers we knew all the drivers would be going for broke to secure the last points available for the weekend.  Got a great start and was running in fourth when Jack Milligan drove into the back of me and Dylan Gulson in the Chase and punted both of us off at high speed. Re-joining the field in 9th and with damaged suspension and no ABS, meant we were monstered by the field and pushed down to 12th when the safety car was called out for another incident.  We managed to cycle the engine systems and reboot the computers and get ABS back before the safety car restart. A one lap dash to complete race three and we secured 11th.
With first place in the overall championship taken by Jimmy Vernon, we now fight for the minor places at the next round in Newcastle.  Happy to be equal second in the points and the game is on with many others very close in points.  Newcastle will for sure be a tough fight so stay tuned.
Many thanks to our generous sponsors and supporters including Phil Gilbert Toyota, Phil Gilbert Parts, Bennett & Philp Lawyers, Veloce Tuning, FOBO Tires Monitoring, iPAS, Motul, Redink Solutions, Nuke Tools, International Protein, YRPS, All Points Glass Thomastown, Lucky Bling, Crisp Signs, Natiive, White Ribbon, Evans Petersen Healthcare, Docketbook and Brett Francis Racing.